Saturday, June 19, 2010

Smart cars are not smart for Michigan


The Smart car dealership in Bloomfield was offering a free 48-hour test drive of any Smart model. So Brad took advantage of the offer. We've been driving around this silly car for two days, and I have to say, this car is not smart for Michigan.

First, it's made very cheaply. I felt every bump in the road (and in Michigan, we have lots of bumps) and heard lots of road noise. The sound system is also really cheap. Sometimes I couldn't understand words to music because the bass and treble blended together. Our '99 Stratus has a better sound system. I say Smart should get rid of the heated seats and get a better sound system. Besides this, the dashboard is awkwardly set up, and the door is hard to open and snapped back at me if I didn't open it to just the right angle. With minimal trunk space, we constantly had to worry about things that would fit in the car.

Second, the car weighs about two pounds. Ok, not really, but it's really light. Last night, we got caught in pretty high winds and were being pushed all over the road. I realized very quickly that this car would be picked up instantly in a tornado. It also wouldn't stand a chance in snow and ice. The wipers were pretty useless, and the passenger side wiper smacked against the window frame.

The only advantage to this car is the gas mileage. We traveled about 600 miles on a 9-gallon tank of gas. That was mostly highway driving, but still, that's pretty awesome. If I had a job that I had to commute more than 30 miles one-way to and lived in a pleasant climate, I'd consider buying the car. But otherwise, this car is very, very impractical for Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment