Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Responsibility is the way to get things done..."

Tonight I was reminded of a Patch the Pirate song I used to sing while growing up. "Responsibility is the way to get things done/ Responsibility is the best for everyone./ To do the things that we ought to do/ to take a job and to see it through/ Responsibility is the way to get things done."

The situation that reminded of this song was an incident with a pitbull in a friend's neighborhood. I don't know the situation, so I'm not commenting on the problem or how it was handled. I've encountered a prejudice against pitbulls in recent weeks because I have two pitbulls, and I'm moving back to the Downriver area. I can't live in certain cities because they have pitbull bans, and I would much rather live in a different city that give up my dogs. My two pitbulls, Stella and Padawan, are the sweetest dogs you could encounter. They are patient and play well with kids and other animals. They are obedient, and they follow whatever Brad and I say. But the key behind their behavior is responsibility.

Responsibility is defined by Webster's dictionary as "the state of being responsible, accountable, or answerable, as for a trust, debt, or obligation." A growing trend in our society is the exact opposite--run from obligations; don't be accountable. The news screams of people's irresponsibility--dog bites, parents running from families, debts left unpaid (ie credit cards, taxes, or mortgages--and when I mention mortgage, I mean that people sought to live above their means not the misfortune of losing a job). Our world would be quite a different place if people would just buck up and take care of their responsibilities.

How does responsibility come into play with my pitbulls? I'm accountable for my dogs' actions. Therefore, Brad and I took the time to train them (painstakingly and heartbreakingly at times), and we take precautions like putting the dogs behind a fence and having them on leashes when out in public. Pitbulls are naturally a powerful breed, and they get a bad reputation because people are irresponsible and either neglect or take advantage of that power. If someone is going to have a pitbull or any other big and strong breed, he/she needs to make sure the dog gets lots and lots of good exercise so that the dog doesn't vent it's cooped-up energy on negative behavior. Pitbulls are sweet and loyal dogs when the owners are responsible with them. Any dog breed can turn vicious (I've encountered many a cranky Cocker Spaniel or Shih Tzu) if the owner is not responsible--except you probably won't go the hospital because of a Cocker Spaniel or Shih Tzu bite. All the more reason for pitbull owners to take care of their dogs! I get so frustrated when people automatically write off my dogs as vicious simply because of their breed. Punish the deed (irresponsible owners), not the breed.

Responsibility is ultimately a Biblical principle (isn't it interesting how Biblical principles, when followed, make the world a more pleasant place?). God calls us to be good stewards of what He's given to us (Matthew 25; I Peter 4:10). That means I need to care for my family by paying for/keeping up my house, cars, and even marriage, or paying my electricity/gas bills, etc. I need to exercise my powerful puppies. I need to pay my taxes (whether they are high or low is a whole different topic) and be an informed voter. I need to develop the talents God has given me.

Responsibility, though tough at times, is very much worth it in the end. As the song states--"Responsibility is the best for everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment