Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I love what I do.

Being a teacher can be very stressful. I have spent countless hours grading papers and preparing lessons over the past two years. I have had to say "no" to my husband, dogs, family, friends, and fun things to finish things for school. I have cried and prayed for hours over my students and their families. Sometimes I wonder why I do what I do.

Some people look at teachers and say, "You teach because of June, July, and August." While, yes, vacations are a great reasons to teach, I would never be successful at this job (or keep my sanity, at that) if I taught for the vacations.

I was reminded of the real reason I teach while at lunch on Monday. I sat across from Bekah Barr, GCS class of '09, and we talked about all the ways God was working in our lives. The words of John came to my mind, "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth" (III John 4). The reason I teach is seeing my students go on to live lives for God.

I've been part of Christian education my entire life--from Christian elementary and high school to Christian college to then teaching at a Christian high school--and I've seen too many times how Satan can get a hold of lives and turn them away from God. My heart has broken over friends and even family members who have succumbed to Satan's deceptions. But as I sat across from Bekah, I remembered all the students who have remained faithful to God and my heart overflowed with thankfulness.

I truly have no greater joy than to live Christ to my students (through His strength) and see them make their faiths real. I thrill to hear how God is working in my students and how they are striving to live for Him. I love teaching in Christian education, and no matter how stressful or dramatic things may be at times, I would never want to be in any other occupation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in this blog! Hehe :) I really loved everything you said. Thanks for being such a great example to me! I can't wait to be in the same position as you some day - I can't wait to see how God will work.
    - Bekah

    ReplyDelete